Data are presented on 80 major plastic and elastomer materials, including biodegradable or organic polymers. New to this edition, the resin chapters each contain textual summary information including category, general description, and weathering properties detailing information of the material’s susceptibility or immunity to weathering including discussion of test results. Extensive references are provided. The resin chapter material supplier trade name product data are presented in a graphical and tabular format, with results normalized to SI units, retaining the familiar format of the 1st edition and allowing easy comparison between materials and test conditions.
The Effects of UV Light and Weather, 2nd Edition:
• Covers thermoplastics, thermoplastic blends/alloys, biodegradable thermoplastic alloys, thermosets, thermoplastic elastomers, and thermosetting elastomers (rubbers).
• The introductory chapter provides basic information on the components of weathering, post-exposure material properties affected by weathering, and a review of testing environments.
• Expanded resin information includes brief discussions weathering stabilizers, including color stabilizers.
• Commonly used standardized weathering tests are discussed, including; indoor and outdoor exposures, accelerated outdoor exposure, conventional aging, artificial accelerated tests.
• Presents results of exposure conditions conducted in a variety of environments, from Arizona, Florida, and California to Ohio and Pennsylvania to Okinawa, Japan.
• Retained material properties data are provided on retained properties including tensile strength and elongation, ductility and embrittlement.
• Retained surface and appearance properties data are provided on retained properties including color change, yellowing, and cracking, among others.
Introduction to Weathering
Acrylonitrile Styrene Acrylate / Acrylonitrile-Butadiene-Styrene Capstock
Acrylonitrile Styrene Acrylate
Acrylic and Acrylic Copolymer
Acrylic and Polyvinyl Chloride Coextrusion
Cellulose Acetate Butyrate
Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE or TFE)
Fluorinated Ethylene Propylene (FEP)
Perfluoroalkoxy PFA and MFA
Polyvinylidene fluoride (PVDF)
Nylon with Glass Fiber
Nylon 6,6 T
Liquid Crystal Polymers
Polyetheretherketone – PEEK
Low Density Polyethylene
High Density Polyethylene
Ultrahigh Molecular Weight Polyethylene
General Purpose Polystyrene
High Impact Polystyrene
Styrene Acrylonitrile Copolymer
Styrene Butadiene Copolymer
Chlorinated Polyvinyl Chloride
Thermoplastic Blends / Alloys
ABS Vinyl Resin Alloy
ABS Polyvinyl Chloride Alloy
Acrylic (PMMA) Polyvinyl Alloy
Polycarbonate ABS Alloy Chapter
Biodegradable Thermoplastic Alloys
Biodegradable Polyethylene Films
Biodegradable Polyethylene Films
Starch Synthetic Resin Alloy
Polyurethane Reaction Injection Molding System
Thermoplastic Elastomers Overview
Chlorinate Polyethylene Elastomer
Olefinic Thermoplastic Elastomer
Polyester Thermoplastic Elastomer
Poly Styrene Butadiene Styrene Thermoplastic
Styrenic Thermoplastic Elastomer
Urethane Thermoplastic Elastomer
Nitrile Thermoplastic Elastomers
Thermoset Elastomers or Rubbers
Thermoset Elastomers or Rubbers Overview
Butyl Rubber, Bromobutyl Rubber, and Chlorobutyl Rubber
Chlorosulfonated Polyethylene Rubber
Ethylene Propylene Copolymer
Ethylene Propylene Diene Methylene Terpolymer (EPDM)
Appendix 1: Fluoropolymers in coatings applications
Appendix 2: Coil Coatings
End Notes to Tables
Glossary of Terms